Are you mostly human or bacteria?!
Want to nerd out about the microbiome with me? Check out these cool facts.
- The microbiome is a collection of bacteria that live on and in the human body in a symbiotic relationship of mutual benefit, yes even your nostrils have their own little microbiome!
- 80% of the human microbiome reside in your large intestine which weighs between 2-3kg!
- It is thought that you are compromised of 50% bacteria cells and 50% human cells!
- DNA sequencing is the new technology that is responsible for an explosion of research and information on the microbiome.
- Healthy people without chronic health conditions, IBS, IBD and autoimmune disease etc have a diverse microbiome which appears to be key to gut health. However, new research may shed more light on this in the future.
- You can test your stool to see how diverse and healthy your microbiome is and then you can manipulate your microbiome composition to a healthier and more diverse profile for better health outcomes. Contact me to find out more about microbiome testing.GUT TIP : A diverse diet equals a diverse microbiome! Aim to consume a minimum of 40 different plant foods each week. Not to brag, but it’s not uncommon for me to get to 70 a week! What can I say?!
Book a free 15 minute health discussion with me here to discuss your health and see if we are a good fit to work together.
P.S. If you think this information may benefit someone you care about, please share it with them below