This is your friendly neighbourhood Nutritionist popping in with an important reminder…
The hot weather is starting to set in.
So if you are feeling tired, foggy, achy and you aren’t drinking enough water then hydration is the first port of call in your health journey.
And just ask me how I know…
A couple of weeks ago I spent a few hours in the sun at the beach without hydrating enough. Then that night and the following morning I felt sluggish and awful. It was a stark reminder that some people feel like this All. The. Time. Which is why one of the first aspects I examine when I see a new client for the first time is whether they are well hydrated.
So how do you know if you’re not getting enough hydration?
- Dark urine
- Hungry without cause
- Frequent headaches
- Poor cognition
- Infrequent urination
- Dark circles under your eyes
- Dry mouth.
- How much should you be drinking then?
Let’s do some maths. Multiply your weight in kg by 35 to find out how many millilitres of fluid your body needs daily. Eg. 60kg X 35ml = 2100ml or 2.1litres daily. If you sweat, drink alcohol or consume more than a couple of caffeinated drinks per day or are breastfeeding then that amount will increase.
Some helpful tips
- 500ml first thing in the morning to improve cognitive function, energy and mood according to this study.
- If you resent midnight trips to the toilet remember to drink more in the mornings and during the day.
- Once a week measure how much water you are having and work out if you need to up your intake.
- Make sure you know how many ml your favourite (glass or stainless steel) drink bottle holds.
- One of my girlfriends adds a rubber band around her drink bottle every time she finishes one so she always knows how much she has had. Genius!
- Hot or iced herbal tea counts toward your fluid intake if you aren’t a fan of plain water. You can also add some fruit and herbs to your drink bottle to fancy it up a little. Basil and watermelon are my favourite.
- Use my simple Hydration Chart to track your intake.
If you are nodding along to the symptoms of poor hydration and saying “Yes, that’s me!”, why not put these tips in place and also document how you’re feeling over a few weeks to see the difference in mood and energy!
Speaking of energy, if you are someone who starts the day with cereal why not swap it for my super easy Spiced Orange Granola! I created a reel on Instagram the other day showing you exactly how to make it. This granola is simple to create and super tasty. Actually it has become my go-to in the mornings for a great energy boost especially since my days have been spent busily creating some awesome things for you which will be launching soon!